Principal Planner - Resource Consents
Permanent, Full time
- Generous benefits: up to $10k of perks, medical insurance, additional annual leave including paid leave over the xmas break and plenty more!
- Comfortable relocation assistance for you and your family
- Flexible working locations, hours, and a supportive, welcoming team
Tasman District Council is a unitary authority and is one of the fastest growing regions in the country with a dynamic range of rivers, coastlines and three national parks at our back doorstep alongside a growing urban environment. Our services are essential to the people in our region and include infrastructure development, community recreational facilities, environmental management, planning, building and other regulatory services.
This is an exciting opportunity for you to join a unitary Council (only six in the Country and we are the second biggest after Auckland). As a result, this role provides a wide range of applications and interesting projects to enhance your planning career.
We're looking for a Principal Planner to join our high performing, knowledgeable team. We offer flexible working practices, a host of employee benefits and a genuine commitment to your training and career development.
Everyone talks about the Tasman Lifestyle, so what is this? It is what you make of it!
Below is only a snippet of an extensive list of what makes Tasman region great;
- Three National parks; Nelson Lakes, Abel Tasman and Kahurangi plus a number of running and walking trails, day hikes, fantastic surfing spots and postcard worthy views;
- Numerous mountain biking, beaches, lakes and winter sports throughout the region;
- Beaches: over 700kms of coastline including Kaiteriteri, Awaroa and Wharariki beaches that are ranked as top beaches in the world!
- Lakes; Our Rotomairewhenua (Blue Lake) is home to the clearest natural fresh water in the world and Te Waikoropupū Springs (Pupu) springs, the clearest natural spring water in the world;
- Award winning vineyards, craft breweries, distilleries and eateries.
What you'll be doing
The Principal Planner is the technical practice lead for the Resource Consents team across regional and territorial disciplines. This is a critical role that provides technical leadership to assist the team to deliver on its core functions. You'll be working closely with the other Principal Planner, the Resource Consents Manager and the Resource Consents Team Leaders in assisting the team achieve their shared goals.
What you'll bring to the role
You'll hold a tertiary qualification in planning or resource management and will have a number of years in a similar, senior position. You'll have a strong, well rounded knowledge of the resource consents process, specifically ideally unitary council experience. You will have proven success in on the job coaching and mentoring of other team members to increase their technical expertise and capabilities. Your strong communication skills and ability to relate well to people with varying levels of knowledge will set you up for success.
To best succeed in this role, you'll have:
- Strong digital and technical skills and expertise in district and regional (ie ideally both) council resource consent processes
- Good stakeholder management skills, particularly for managing consent hearings and assisting legal counsel with Court Appeals
- Experience in on the job coaching and mentoring others
- Member, or be eligible for membership, of the New Zealand Planning Institute or similar
Sound too good to be true? Any initial questions or clarifications please call or email the Resource Consents Manager, Katrina Lee on 03 5437601 or firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the People & Wellbeing team on 03 543 8393 This really is a great opportunity!
Please note we review and process applications as they are received; we encourage your early application.